Wednesday, September 23, 2009

WICKED! The life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West


















Wicked! The untold story of the witches of Oz.... Songs and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz and book by Winnie Holzman.

From book to musical - An extremely difficult adaption and one of the most recently released musicals to the Broadway scene!

The book was published in 1995. Written by George Maguire, it is a revisionist look at the land and the characters of Oz, best known from L. Frank Baum's 1900 novel The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.

The whole premise of Wicked is that you don't know what really went on in Oz. It reveals things that The Wizard of Oz never told you... why the Wicked Witch is wicked (and green), why the Lion is cowardly, where the sparkly red slippers came from, why Glinda is "good", etc etc.

The music is mind blowing. The story is captivating. The sets and costuming are amazing!

BUT I have to say, the book is an extremely difficult read... and I found that I had to force myself to continue reading to the end. On the other hand, the musical was the most phenomenal stage production I have EVER seen!

The storyline slightly differs to the book itself, but I could not stop watching! I saw it performed by the original Broadway cast in New York 2006, and it has now reached Sydney's shores - I am seeing it again.

WATCH THE TOUR TRAILER!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0m6sclZkH0

GO AND SEE IT. Even if it is the only musical you ever see. It is by far the most extraordinary musical ever produced.

Click here for info and tickets:
http://www.wickedthemusical.com.au/home.html

2 comments:

  1. Wicked was the most amazing musical I have ever seen! I saw it the last day I was in the USA on a whim and I am forever greatful that I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you really?! I hope you were lucky enough to see the original Broadway cast Edina Menzel as Elpheba and Kristen Chenoweth as Galinda also! The production was spectacular.

    ReplyDelete